When I was chatting to Nathan Trainor about doing one of these, he said ‘You should talk to my Sister. She is the real professional musician.’
While he was being modest, he wasn’t kidding around.
After a bit of digging around I discovered she is in the house band at my favourite Horror themed/Cabaret/Restaurant Dracula’s in Melbourne.
She also drums for Melbourne-based (but Dunedin born) Honeybone.
And please don’t tell her ‘she’s good for a Girl’… because she’s just GOOD, and you’re just jealous.
Ladies & Gentlemen… Rachel Trainor.
– Chick peas!
– Oooh, that’s a tough one. I love the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films, Star Wars, and Bridesmaids. Those are definitely my favs.
– I have so many favourites but my favourite drumming album is Burn by Deep Purple.
– Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen
– Rock Steady – Aretha Franklin. What a groove!
– Ian Paice and John Bonham
Favourite Kiwi Drummer? (Could be the same as above)
– My brother Nathan Trainor, he kills it!
– Five stroke roll.
Favourite drum or cymbal?
– Gotta be a cowbell.
Can you describe your set up?
– I have a Tama Superstar, with 22” kick, 12 14 16” toms, a Ludwig Black Beauty snare and Meinl bynzance cymbals.
– It’s probably a tie with opening for the Datsuns and getting my current gig at Dracula’s.
– I’m the drummer in the current show, Resurrection, at Dracula’s Theatre Restaurant in Melbourne, and I play occasionally with my originals garage rock band Honeybone.
Trained or self taught?
– I had some lessons from my music teacher at high school and was mostly self taught until I went to uni, where I had lessons as part of my music degree.
Main teacher or mentor?
– Marcel Rodeka of Mother Goose, he taught me some great stuff.
– If you’re going to hit the drums, hit them hard!
Game changing moment?
– When I decided to leave my day job to pursue music full time, I got the Dracula’s job two weeks later!
Recommended study material? Book/DVD etc?
– YouTube. So many great tutors on there.
Advice to beginners?
– Practice practice practice! Make sure you play music you want to play, and get gigging as soon as you can.
Pre gig warm up?
– I do wrist/shoulder stretches and paradiddles, singles and doubles on a practice pad.
Currently working on?
– I’m currently learning the Funky Drummer groove, it’s so much fun!
Chops? Yay or Nay?
– Nay. Groove is more important.
Most embarrassing moment or Funny gig story?
– At Dracula’s in the finale I went from playing guitar to drumming, and the big curly wig I was wearing got caught in my guitar when I took it off and came right off. That was pretty embarrassing at the time, but it’s rather funny now!
Strangest song request or audience situation?
– I was doing a corporate gig, an accountants function, and they all sat on the opposite side of the room all night through three sets, no one danced the whole time! That was crazy.
– The ‘for a girl’ backhanded compliment.
Guilty Pleasure Song or Band?
– I don’t believe in the ‘guilty pleasure’ thing when it comes to music, usually if it’s good, I like it!