He likes Toto (like me). He likes Jeff Porcaro (like me). He doesn’t take kindly to Wagon Wheel requests (like me). He gigs 7 nights a week ( like ….. oh wait)
Ladies & Gentlemen, Sam Edgar.
– Toto IV
– Right now: Mind Over Matter by Young The Giant
– Rosanna Shuffle
– Jeff Porcaro
Favourite Kiwi Drummer?
– Paul Russell (Supergroove, Che Fu, Eight)
Favourite drum or cymbal?
– My 20” Paiste Traditionals Ride
Can you describe your set up?
– Yamaha Stage Custom kick drum, toms, 14×6 Tama Starphonic Snare, 14×7 Kdrums Rimu/Kauri Snare, 14” Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials Hi Hats, 16” Paiste Formula 602 thin crash, 16” Sabian Vanguard Crash, 18” Sabian HH Dark crash, 20” Paiste Traditionals Medium Ride.
– Playing Vector Arena 4 times
– Playing 7 gigs a week at Danny Doolans/Ohagan’s
Trained or self-taught?
– Bit of both
Main teacher or mentor?
– My Dad (Steve Edgar)
– Have big ears (listen)
Game changing moment?
– Hearing Rosanna for the first time
Recommended study material? Book/DVD etc?
– Jeff Porcaro Instructional DVD, Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials Book
Advice to beginners?
– Practice, practice, practice
Pre gig warm up?
– Singles, Doubles, Paradiddles, Triplets at varying speeds starting slow.
Currently working on?
– Brother To Brother by Gino Vannelli
Chops? Yay or Nay?
Most embarrassing moment or Funny gig story?
– Some guy running with pace straight into a closed ranch slider door face first, through the band set up.
Strangest song request or audience situation?
– Cradle Of Filth
– Wagon Wheel
Guilty Pleasure Song or Band?
– Van Halen