Glen first came on my radar about 7 years ago when i started gigging heavily around Auckland. Who was this mythical timekeeper i kept hearing about? His name was spoken in hushed tones followed by ‘perfect…’, ‘impeccable…’ and other intimidating adjectives. So let’s find out what makes Glen tick!
– Star Wars
– Incognito – “Positivity”
– “The night they drove old Dixie down” – The Band
– “Dixie Chicken” – Little Feat
– Levon Helm
Favourite Kiwi Drummer?
– Darren Mathiassen
– 6 stroke roll
Favourite drum or cymbal?
– Ludwig 400
Can you describe your set up?
– Yamaha Beech Custom, 22″ or 20″ BD, 10″, 14 ” Toms, Snares: Ludwig 400 or Pearl 13 x 5 Omar Hakim. 14″ Zildjian new beat Hi-Hats, 17″ A custom Crash, 20″ Paiste dark energy ride, 18″ Paiste twenty series crash.
– Playing with Annie Crummer at Auckland Festival. Amazing band, amazing songs, I felt very lucky to be part of it
– Contagious (covers), various deps for other bands, Baby Bird 3 (jazz/funk/fusion), Tempist Fujuit
Trained or self taught?
Main teacher or mentor?
– Paul Elliot and Brian Greene
– KISS – Keep it Simple Stupid. Turn up on time, play in time, all the time
Game changing moment?
– Realising that with hard work and practice I could actually make a living hitting things.
Recommended study material? Book/DVD etc?
– Great Hands for a lifetime, Time functioning patterns, Language of drumming
Advice to beginners?
– Get a metronome, practice as much as you can.
Pre gig warm up?
– Flat white, followed by the Lifetime warm up
Currently working on?
– Advanced lifetime warm up, Blood sweat and tears book and Anything that I need
to work on for my current gigs
Chops? Yay or Nay?
Most embarrassing moment or Funny gig story?
– Playing a Masonic function and 4 members of the band won most of the prizes
in the Raffle. Hmm, did we rig it
Strangest song request or audience situation?
– Male punter requesting “dancing queen” when we were a male 4 piece blues
– Guitarists who have no idea how LOUD they’re playing.
Guilty Pleasure Song or Band?
– Curiosity Killed The Cat
Catch Glen at…